West Ham end Manchester City’s four-year run as League Cup winners | Football News – Times of India

LONDON: Liverpool and Tottenham booked their place in the quarter-finals, ending Manchester City’s four-year hold in the West Ham League Cup on Wednesday.
City’s record run in the competition ended at London Stadium as the Hammers won 5-3 from a penalty shootout while both sides were guilty of missing out on plenty of chances in the 0-0 draw.
Mark Noble, Jared Bowen, Craig Dawson, Aaron Creswell and Saeed Benrahma all found the net for David Moyes’ people, so Phil Foden was the only person who missed out on this spot.

Pep Guardiola has been named as one of the strongest teams in the world and will think City should have continued their run without losing in the 21st League Cup.
Nathan Ake, John Stones, Ilke Gundogan and Rahim Sterling all missed big chances because the scoreline rejected a competition that ran from one end to the other.
Thomas Sosek also brought two big chances in the side-foot wide to win the match for the hosts.

Foden was thrown out alongside Jack Grillis in an attempt to win the game from Guardiola.
But the England international pulled City’s first penalty wide and could not bail out his team-mate despite getting a hand to stand-in goalkeeper Jack Stephen Bowen and Benrahmer’s strike.
Liverpool will now look to win the League Cup for the first time in nine years, but Preston had to overcome a bad start to win 2-0.
The Reds have scored 30 goals in the previous eight away games this season, but Jurgen Klopp’s much-changed side have failed to hit the heights of Sunday’s famous 5-0 win over Manchester United.
Preston was even better in the first half as Adrian saved a point-blank from Shawn Maguire, Neko Williams cleared the line and Brad Pots fired in seconds.

Liverpool were clinical as they took their first shot to the target just after the hour mark when Williams’ cross was acrobatically flicked home by Takumi Minamino.
The club’s men then controlled the last half hour and doubled their lead in spectacular fashion when Divak Origi’s backhill sank the ball over Delkan Road.
Tottenham’s bid for the first trophy remains after winning the League Cup for the last time in 2008 as Nuno Espirito was rewarded for naming a strong team with a 1-0 win over Santo Burnley.

Lucas Maura scored the only goal in the 22nd minute with a powerful downward header from Emerson Royal’s cross.
Leicester also needed a penalty to see Brighton after an entertaining game ended 2-2.
The Fox twice took Brighton to the gift area in a dangerous area to take the lead through Harvey Burns and Ademola Lookman in the first half.
Adam Webster and Enk Mweepu equalized for the Seagulls, but Mweepu and Neil Moupe failed to beat Danny Ward from the spot.
Sergei Canos and Evan Tony scored in the first half to give Stoke a 2-1 win over Stoke in the second season in a row.


Read More Sports News

Keep Reading Latest Breaking News

Source link


Leave a Comment