Watmore steps down as ECB chairman after 13 months in charge | Cricket News – Times of India

Ian Whatmore has resigned as chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) by mutual consent after 13 months in office, it was announced on Thursday.
Whatmore was appointed to a five-year term in September 2020, replacing Colin Graves. Deputy Chair Barry O’Brien will take over as interim chair.
“It’s a pity that I’m stepping down as chairman of the ECB, but I’m doing it with my own well-being and the focus on the game of my choice,” Whatmore said.
“I was appointed to this post in the pre-epidemic era, but Covid means that the role and its timely demands are dramatically different from all our original expectations, which has had a personal impact on me. Given this, the board and I think The new chair will serve better to move forward. ”
The ECB said in a statement: “He has reached a mutual agreement with the board at the end of the domestic season and after helping Covid manage the game through the challenge over the past year.
“The decision follows a successful summer of domestic and international men’s and women’s cricket, following the introduction of The Hundred and a record number of recreational games.”
Whatmore, the former chief executive of the Football Association, has been under pressure since the decision to cancel England’s tour of Pakistan later this month due to security concerns.
He later apologized for canceling the tour and acknowledged that his and the board’s decision had been made without consulting the England players.
The ECB added that it would soon begin the process of appointing a new chairman.

.

Read More Sports News

Keep Reading Latest Breaking News

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Comment