An earlier order issued by the state Department of Higher Education in August asked colleges and state universities to reserve 75% seats for state board students, with Education Minister Ronoz Pegu later saying that board-based reservations would not apply in urban areas where a significant number of students are from CBSE. Nevertheless, it has been more than a month since the announcement of Class XII results, but the colleges have not yet received the revised instructions from the government.
You have successfully cast your vote
Sources in the education department told TOI that most of the colleges have been finalized or are in the final stages of compiling merit lists for UG admissions. However, the college authorities are hesitant to publish the list. “Colleges are confused as to whether they will follow the written order of the education department or the oral statement of the education minister,” said an education department official. At Guwahati Commerce College (GCC), 65% seats in UG courses were reserved till last year for Assam State Board pass. The justification was that these students were being given the opportunity of higher education. Reserving 75% of the seats would have established the GCC’s position, which has long followed board-based reservations. College sources made a merit list, but the relaxation given by the minister corrected them. “We thought the reservation would be based on formula. But now we are expecting a new order. Changes in the merit list after publication could lead to confusion, ”GCC principal Homeshwar Kalita said on Thursday.
Another top city college, B Boruyah College, may have a merit list published in the next couple of days, said principal Satyendra Nath Barman. “If we do not get a written confirmation that the 75:25 reservation policy has been canceled, it is difficult to disclose the merit list and date of admission. If the government issues another order after the admission of students based on reservations, the colleges will be at an acceptable level,” said Burman. .
Prior to the outbreak of Covid-1, admissions to state colleges would have ended by June. Considering the possibility of a third wave of epidemics, college officials said students would benefit if classes started early. However, considering the laziness shown by the education department, many feel that the admission process for undergraduate classes in some institutions may be extended till October.
Burman added, “We are fully prepared for admission. Classes will start from August before the epidemic.”
At Cotton University (CU), one of the most sought-after institutions in the Northeast, students interested in admission to undergraduate degree courses could not even submit an admission form. Although the 75:25 formula is an obvious reason for this unusual delay, insiders at Premier State University say it could take a few more weeks for the admissions portal to reopen.
“Many meritorious students vacate their seats immediately after admission to the CU. These are students who have passed the medical and engineering exams. It is very embarrassing when meritorious students leave the university a few days after admission,” a university official said.
However, waiting for NEET and JEE results could cause significant harm to academics as National Examination Agency sources said NEET results could be announced in October, although JEE results could be announced around September 20.
Read More Educational News
Keep Reading Latest Breaking News