The scope of Ida’s damage is coming into view this morning. Here’s a look at the scene. 

More than 1 million customers were without power in Louisiana on Monday morning, according to PowerUtage.US. Officials say those who have electricity are getting it From the generator, But it is important to use them safely to avoid the death of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no odor, color or taste. You may not be able to see or smell it, but it can be very dangerous and even deadly to your health.

Advertisement

If there is too much carbon monoxide in the air you breathe, your ability to absorb oxygen can be reduced, which can lead to severe tissue damage, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Generators and other gasoline-powered equipment are common sources of carbon monoxide.

What to look for: The initial symptoms are flu-like, but without fever. These may include dull headaches, weakness, dizziness, and nausea. High levels of poisoning can lead to vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.

Advertisement

How to stay safe: “These devices should never be used inside an enclosed space, home, basement, garage, or camper – even outside of open windows or window air conditioners,” the CDC said.

If patients show such symptoms after a hurricane or any other disaster, healthcare professionals should consider carbon monoxide poisoning, the CDC said. “Provide 100% oxygen until the patient is asymptomatic or diagnosed with CO poisoning,” the CDC said.

Here are some more tips from the National Weather Service:

Advertisement

.

Read More World News

Keep Reading Latest Breaking News

Source link

Leave a Comment