The tunnel, located near the Chinese border, is expected to give India strategic strength to facilitate the rapid movement of its troops.
Here are the key points to learn about the tunnel …
* The tunnel will pass through the Sela Pass and is expected to reduce the distance to the Chinese border via Tawang by 10 kilometers.
* It is located on the border of Tawang and West Kameng districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
* The project consists of two tunnels. Tunnel 1 is 980 meters long and Tunnel 2 is a twin tube tunnel with a length of 1,555 meters.
* The tunnel will reduce travel time between the Army Corps Corporation headquarters in Tezpur, Assam, and Tawang by at least one hour.
* Construction of Sela Tunnel is expected to be completed by June 2022.
Sela Tunnel Saga https://t.co/5K2BLc6ENE
– Rajnath Singh (@RajnathSingh) 1634188779000
* The tunnel will ensure that National Highway 13, especially the 171 km stretch between Bomdila and Tawang, will be accessible in all weathers.
* In 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the project. It will cost around Rs 687 crore.
* During the 1962 war, the Chinese invasion of India progressed rapidly after the Sela was defeated by the PLA.
* “This (Sela Tunnel) will not only strengthen security but also connect remote areas, which will make it possible for people to travel in western Arunachal Pradesh. It will boost tourism and boost the economy,” DG BRO Lt. Gen. Rajiv Chowdhury told ANI.
(With agency input)