India’s 1983 World Cup winning team during a conversation with NDTV.. NDTV
On this day in 1983, Team India defeated the West Indies at Lord’s Cricket Ground to win their first World Cup. Former all-rounder Kapil Dev’s captain, India was not the favorite to win the tournament, but the captain’s inspirational dressing room speech changed everything for the team. The 1983 World Cup winning squad talks on NDTV about the historic day.
The following are the highlights:
- Kirti Azad introduced the entire squad to the one-liner and called Yashpal Sharma.Cashews, raisinsAnd Mahindra Amarnath is the “silent killer” of the party.
- Lots of people say there is a lot of pressure but we decided to get on the field and enjoy this moment. That was our mantra for success, says former India captain Kapil Dev.
- Regarding the mentality of going to the 1983 World Cup, Mahendra Amarnath said that we thought we were as big as any other team, and we were not just going to take part, we were going to win competitions and tournaments.
- Kapil Patil said that Kapil Dev believed in everyone and he allowed everyone to do their work.
- Kirti Azad: Kapil Dev is a legend, he used to joke himself. We have a WhatsApp group and the bond is still there.
- Some day you God created for you and I think that day (155 score against Zimbabwe) was made for me. In the 1983 World Cup, Kapil Dev will give a shout out to his kn historical record.
Topics mentioned in this article