Facebook reverses course, won’t ban Covid lab leak theory – Times of India

Washington: Facebook has reversed its policy banning post, stating that the Kovid-19 was man-made, on the heels of a renewed debate over the origins of the virus that first emerged in China.
Facebook’s latest move was announced on its website late Wednesday, highlighting the challenge of preventing misinformation and misinformation on the world’s largest social network.
“With the ongoing investigation into the origins of the Kovid-19 and consultation with public health experts, we will no longer remove the claim that the Kovid-19 is man-made or manufactured from our app,” the statement said.
“We are continuing to work with health experts to keep pace with the evolving nature of the epidemic and regularly update our policies as new facts and trends emerge.”
The new statement updates Facebook’s guidance in February when it said the novel would remove false or debunked claims about coronaviruses that killed more than three million people in a global pandemic.
The move prompted US intelligence agencies to investigate competing theories following President Joe Biden’s directive of how the virus first emerged – through animal exposure in a market in Wuhan, China, or a research laboratory in the same city Through accidental release from.
Biden’s order indicates an escalation in the growing controversy over the origin of the virus.
Facebook’s actions affect content posted by about 3.45 billion active users of its applications, including its main social networks, Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger.
Facebook has largely relied on independent fact-checking groups, which until now had widely rejected the theory of a laboratory release.
One of these groups, PolitiFact, reported last September that public health officials “repeatedly stated that the coronavirus did not originate from a laboratory” but revised its guidance earlier this month, “claiming it Now more widely disputed, ”adding that it would continue to review the case.
Facebook said in a separate statement that it is furthering its efforts to curb misinformation by limiting the reach of users who repeatedly share false content.
Until now, Facebook only took this action on personal posts, but now it will clamp down on users who are the biggest disseminators of false content.

.

Read More World News

Keep Reading Latest Breaking News

Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Comment