air: IAF chopper crash: Probe report likely to be submitted to Air HQ next week | India News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: A three-service investigation report into the helicopter crash that killed Chief of Defense Staff General Bipin Rawat and 13 others will be submitted to Biman headquarters next week, people familiar with the development said on Saturday. They said the investigation into the December 8 accident near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu was almost complete and a huge report was being finalized for submission in the next few days.
It is learned that the investigation team led by Air Marshal Manabendra Singh has examined all the possible circumstances of the accident including possible human error. Experts are also investigating whether the helicopter was misled by crew as it was preparing to land.
Sources said that the results of the Court of Inquiry and the procedure followed in the investigation are being legally verified.
“Legal scrutiny is being conducted to ensure that the investigation team has complied with all the prescribed rules and procedures,” said a source close to the incident.
When asked about the possible cause of the crash, several aviation experts said that a significant number of plane crashes were caused by visual confusion due to pilots losing situational awareness.
And, bad weather can sometimes be a reason to lose situational awareness, said one of them while refusing to speculate about Coonoor’s accident.
They said the investigation team, led by Air Marshal Manabendra Singh, had investigated all possible angles and was finalizing the report, which is expected to be submitted to Air Chief Marshal VR Chowdhury within a week.
However, no official information has been received in this regard.
The black box containing the flight data recorder (FDR) and cockpit voice recorder (CVR) of the ill-fated Mi-17V5 helicopter of the Indian Air Force (IAF) was recovered from the crash site on 9 December.
The Chief of Defense Staff left Palam Airport on an IAF Embraer at 8.47am and landed at Sulu Airport at 11.34am. He took off from Sulur in a Mi-17V5 chopper at 11.47am for Wellington. The helicopter crashed at 12.22 pm.
Air Marshal Singh, who currently heads the IAF’s Bangalore-headquarters training command, is known as one of the “best available” aircraft crash investigators in the country.
Prior to taking over the reins of the training command, Singh was the Director General (Inspection and Security) at Air Headquarters. While in office, he developed various protocols for flight safety.

!function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) {if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments)}; if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version=’2.0′; n.queue=[];t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, document,’script’, ‘’); fbq(‘init’, ‘593671331875494’); fbq(‘track’, ‘PageView’); .

Read More World News

Keep Reading Latest Breaking News

Source link


Leave a Comment