Advertisements

<!–

–>

More than 200,000 workers built the huge space on the outskirts of Dubai

Advertisement

Dubai:

Three workers were killed and more than 30 were seriously injured during the construction of the Expo 2020 site in Dubai, officials said Saturday, stressing that safety standards were “world-class”.

Advertisements

The figures were released after the European Parliament called for a six-month boycott of the World Fair, criticizing the UAE’s human rights record and “inhumane” treatment of migrant workers.

More than 200,000 workers built the huge space on the outskirts of Dubai, with hundreds of pavilions and other facilities in a showroom twice the size of Monaco.

Advertisement

The United Arab Emirates and the Gulf state of Qatar, hosts next year’s World Cup, are often at the crosshairs of activist groups over their treatment of workers from South Asia, who build their ambitious development.

“Unfortunately, there have been three work-related deaths and two serious injuries,” the expo said in a statement.

It said 247 million jobs had been completed at the site, adding that the frequency of accidents was lower than in the UK.

“We have established world-class policies, standards and processes that protect and support the health, safety and well-being of everyone involved in Expo 2020 Dubai,” the statement said.

Advertisement

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, who visited the expo on Saturday, said France was “not part” of the European Parliament’s proposal.

“Our relationship with the UAE is strategic, it is very close and we can say something with all transparency and if we need to say something to the UAE government, we do it but behind closed doors,” he told reporters.

(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and was published from a syndicated feed.)

.

Read More World News

Keep Reading Latest Breaking News

Source link

Advertisement
Advertisements